In today’s modern and digital generation, people want to share their experiences and ideas with the world. It is a fact that taking pictures and shooting videos are among the favorite pastimes of the people of all ages. Nowadays, individuals upload their videos to different social media, including YouTube. Do you want to tell your family or friends about your travel or your daily experience?
Well, the best way to do this is through filmmaking. Whether you are an amateur or experienced filmmaker, you are free to share your story and ideas to a large audience. You can choose the theme of your film and create interesting scenes that your target audience can relate. If you are an aspiring business individual who wants to promote your business through a film, you need a reliable camera for easy shooting. If you plan to make a documentary film, you need to have quality DSLR camera to create excellent film content.
Filmmaking is also a great hobby that can enhance your shooting and critical-thinking skills. It is amazing if you can create a short film that will feature your inspiring story. With your film, you can inspire and encourage others to improve their lives too. Your passion for filmmaking can offer fun, thrill, lesson as well as entertainment to the people. There are different topics to tackle for your filmmaking habit, so you must carefully choose the best for your satisfaction as well as for your audience.
Meanwhile, to make the best of your filmmaking, you need quality equipment to have a hassle-free shooting experience. However, there are various camera models you can avail in the market. You can’t be so sure which one is the best for your needs. They are also available at different prices and comes with specific features. Are you conscious of the budget and quality of camera for your filmmaking? Fortunately, you don’t have to worry since we will help you with this matter.
If you are a student and need to shoot a film for your project or an aspiring traveler that wants to film your trip and adventure, you must have the best camera to produce your desired film results. We understand that choosing a camera for filmmaking that suits your budget is a challenging task. With that, we have decided to back you up by offering you a reliable review of the best camera for filmmaking. We have thoroughly reviewed the top ten best camera for filmmaking on a budget.
With that, you can make a wise decision on choosing the right one for your individual filmmaking needs. With this review, you can also learn about their features that can satisfy you. In addition, we have also provided you a buyer’s guide and FAQ section to help you compare the cameras for filmmaking. For sure, you can get the perfect camera that suits your taste, budget, and needs. You should also look into our best vlogging camera guide.
Before we proceed, here is our best overall and best budget pick if you want to immediately get what you need.
If you want to immediately know the best camera for filmmaking, here are the best choice when it comes to the best overall and best budget camera for filmmakers like you.
Best Overall Camera for Filmmaking on a Budget
The Fujifilm X-T3 can be the best filmmaking camera that you need. It can offer you excellent video shooting performance that is perfect for your filmmaking projects. It features a 4k movie recording and 16 film stimulation modes.
This camera for the film can offer you with high level of satisfaction due to its great quality and amazing features. Another unique feature of this 3.69 million dot OLED Color viewfinder that has 0.75 x magnification. If you want to produce satisfying results with your documentary film, short film as well as other film projects. The money you invest in this camera is worth it.
Best Budget Camera for Filmmaking
The Panasonic Lumix G85 can be the best DSLR camera for filmmaking on a budget for those who are budget-conscious. With this compact design camera, you can have a rewarding film shooting experience without breaking your budget.
It can offer you with fine detail performance and class-leading dual image stabilization. It is a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that you can use in different film shooting projects. It can capture 4K video which is perfect for your filming habit. You can use it whether for making documentary, news content, or short film. Apart from its wallet-friendly price, it will not fail you when it comes to its shooting quality.
Comparison of the Top Ten Best Camera for Filmmaking on a Budget
Reviews of the Top 10 Best Camera for Filmmaking on a Budget
It cannot be denied that there are several models of the camera for filmmaking on a budget in the market. With that, you may find it challenging to get the right one for your specific filmmaking needs. Worry no more because we will help you to have an easy search. You can checkout Best Digital Camera Under $300.
The following is our unbiased and sincere review of the top ten best camera for filmmaking on a budget.
1. Fujifilm X-T3 – Best Overall
The Fujifilm X-T3 is equipped with awesome features that can give you the satisfaction you need for your filmmaking passion. It has a new back-illuminated X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor. The sensor uses a unique color filter array to boost a 26.1 MP resolution. The X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor control false color without using optical low-pass filter.
It also comes with ISO range that can offer you with noise-free and clean images. Additionally, this filmmaking camera features X-Processor 4 which serves as brain which uses the full potential of X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor. This processor works with algorithm that improves Film Simulation modes, which are essential for the camera’s capacity of tracking moving subjects.
Fujifilm X-T3 has Film Simulation Modes for different gradations and color tones. With its huge EVF, your subject will never be out of sight. It has a great magnification 0.75x ratio.
The only negative thing that we can say with this filmmaking budget camera is that it doesn’t come with in-body stabilization.
- 4K 60fps and 10-bit internal capture
- HLG and F-Log modes
- Terminal with great expandability
- Improved buttons and dials
- Touchscreen panel with higher contrast
- MKX cinema lenses
- X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor
- X-Processor 4
- 4K movie recording which is perfect for filmmaking
- It comes with improved AF processing on moving subjects
- Accurate and fast phase-detection AF across the frame
- It comes with an elegant and luxurious black design
- Blackout-free high-speed continuous shooting about 30 fps with AE/AF tracking
- Huge EVF, so you’ll not lose the sight of the subject
- It has a weatherproof structure
- It features 16 film simulation modes like B, cinema and w adjustment: 9 ~+9
- 16 M phase detection limits
- 69 million dot OLED color viewfinder with 0,75x magnification
- Variety of gradations and color tones for more customized filming experience
- It has eye and faces detection AF
- Some customers complain that it doesn’t have in-body stabilization. However, you can still use tripod and other accessories for stabilization
Our Rating: (4.9 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
2. Panasonic Lumix G85 – Best Budget-Friendly Filmmaking Camera
If you are a filmmaker who is conscious both to quality and budget, then the Panasonic Lumix G85 is for you. With its unique features, this model can be the best DSLR camera for filmmaking on a budget that you are looking for.
It can offer you stunning 4K video quality that will satisfy your filmmaking needs. You don’t have to doubt this camera since it can still perform at its best, even at its maximum settings. It can provide you with great image quality and fast autofocus.
The drawback of the Panasonic Lumix G85 is its short battery life. So, you must bring an additional battery with you. In addition, its continuous AF is limited to 6fps. The display also struggles in low light conditions.
- Fast autofocus
- Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera
- In body 5 axis dual image stabilization
- The flip LCD display and live viewfinder
- Compact and durable design
- Shutter shock reduction with minimized shutter sound
- Optional power grip for more comfortable handling of the camera even on vertical angle shooting
- It comes with a live viewfinder that has 0.74x magnification ratio
- 2360K dot high resolution and 100% color reproduction for greater visibility
- Image stabilization
- It has fine detail resolving power
- It is a reliable camera with photo and video recording modes
- Its mirrorless interchangeable lens camera has 12 60 mm lens which can shoot faster and lighter using hybrid photography
- It has a short battery life, so you need to bring extra batteries during the filming process
- Its continuous AF is limited to 6fps
- The display can struggle in low light situations
Our Rating: (4.8 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
3. Sony Alpha a6300 – Best Mirrorless Camera for Filmmaking
The Sony Alpha a6300 is the best mirrorless camera that you can use for your filmmaking passion. It has HD and 4K recording, which can produce professional and stunning film content. It also has an electronic viewfinder with high-resolution XGA OLED Tru-Finder for excellent viewing experience.
It also has an advanced 24.2 MP Exmore CMOS sensor, which reduces noise and expands sensitivity. It features faster autofocus, which can shoot about 11 fps with 425 phase-detection and 0.05 sec AF speed. With its viewfinder, you can have up to 350 shots.
It comes with a 4D focus system that can lock focus on subject as small as 0.05 seconds. If you have high standards for your filmmaking camera, this mirrorless camera is a great option. It comes with enhanced ergonomics and operability. It has a solid magnesium alloy body that has strong resistance against moisture and dust during extreme conditions. With its refined grip and robust lens mount, you can have easy and convenient shooting experience.
Apart from its advantages, this model also has its downside. This camera is a non-touch LCD display and can be hard to learn, especially for newbie filmmakers. Some customers also complain that it comes with smaller lens selection.
- Faster autofocus
- It comes with an external mic jack
- Excellent 4K video quality
- Wi-Fi, QR, NFC code for easy transfer of file and remote control
- Focal plane phase-detection AF with A-mount lenses10
- 4 million dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder with fast-tracking of 120 Hz
- Gamma Display Assist and S-Gamut3/S-Log3 for recording full HD at 120 fps
- Enhanced photo profile settings and Zebra functionality
- High-bit rate XAVC S format for 4K video recording
- The 3-inch LCD screen tilts up and down for easy angle framing
- 4x / 5x slow motion recording at 120 fps with full HD
- 2 MP imaging innovation
- It is a non-touch LCD display
- It has smaller lens selection
- It is a little bit difficult to learn
Our Rating: (4.6 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
4. GoPro Hero 7 Black – Best Camera for Action Shots
If you want a durable camera for filmmaking, the GoPro Hero 7 Black can be your best partner. It is loaded with great features that will meet your standards and needs for filming. You don’t have to worry since it is a waterproof camera, so you can continuously shoot even on extreme conditions.
It features HyperSmooth Video Stabilization, which reduces camera shake. It can predict movements and corrects the camera to deliver a smooth footage. Another unique characteristic of the GoPro Hero 7 Black is its Voice Control. You can say “GoPro, take a photo” or “GoPro, start recording.”
It also has Live Streaming, so you can share your video live with your friends. It has Super Photo and Time Warp Video Capture. It has an intuitive touch screen for easy use.
On the other hand, the GoPro Hero 7 Black also has its disadvantages. It has a shorter battery life and a small display. You also need more accessories.
- Stunning 12MP photos and 4K60 video
- 8x Sol Mo Video
- Waterproof and rugged filmmaking camera
- Voice Control
- Live Streaming
- Time Warp Video Capture
- Super Photo
- It has an intuitive touch screen for easy navigation
- It can capture super smooth and stabilized time lapse video
- 12MP photos with WDR for capturing vibrant and beautiful 10MP photos
- It has a Burst mode that allows you to take 15 photos in a second
- Photo timer, so you can easily take a selfie or group shot
- It is a waterproof and durable filmmaking camera that can be your perfect companion for your travel and adventure
- Shoot Vertically option, so you can shoot videos and photos in a portrait orientation
- Video Stabilization for smooth and still recording
- It has a small display
- You might need additional accessories
- It has a shorter battery life
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
5. Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K – Best 4K Camera for Filmmaking
The Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K is the best camera for filmmaking that can offer you with 4K video resolution. It comes with a full-size 4/3 sensor and 4096 x 2160 resolution. You can have a hassle-free filming experience with this camera. Thus, it has 4K DKI video recording at 60 fps, and 13 stops Dynamic Range. If you are looking for best go pro for kids, then checkout here gopro for kids.
This camera features a carbon fiber composite build and Blackmagic Operating System. It has 5” touchscreen LCD and 4 built-in microphones. With its elegant and durable design, you can be satisfied with the great digital film quality that it can provide you.
The drawback of this filmmaking camera is its shorter battery time. With this, you must bring a backup battery on your filming project.
- 4/3” HDR sensor
- Dual native ISO to 25,600
- It comes with DaVinci Resolve studio license
- CFast 2. 0 & SD/ UHS-II card slots
- Excellent 4K video quality
- It has a 13-stop dynamic range and 3D LUT support
- It features an active micro 4/3 lens mount
- External recording through USB Type-C
- 5” touchscreen display for easier navigation
- It can capture up to 120 fps windowed HD
- Some customers complain that has shorter battery life
- No continuous autofocus
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
6. Canon EOS Rebel T7i – Best DSLR Camera for Filmmaking
The Canon EOS Rebel T7i is the best DSLR camera for filmmaking on a budget. With its lots of features, the money you invested in it is worth it. It has 18-55 mm lens and other useful accessories. It comes with 24.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor. With this filmmaking camera, you can produce clear and high-resolution imagery and minimal noise.
It has Full HD 1080p video recording, dual pixel CMOS AF systems, and 45-point All Cross-Type AF. It has a user-friendly interface, and lives view AF performance. It has an excellent touchscreen control and offers you with great image quality.
Meanwhile, the Canon EOS Rebel T7i also has its drawbacks. It doesn’t come with 4K video, and it only has 94% viewfinder coverage. It has adjustable dynamic range.
- The live View AF performance
- High-quality touchscreen control
- 2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- Full HD 1080p video recording
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- DIGIC 7 Image Processor
- It features a Time-Lapse Movie and HDR Movie
- 45-point All Cross-Type Phase-Detect AF
- Wi-Fi with Bluetooth and NFC connectivity that allows you to easily share your story
- It has around 6 fps shooting and ISO 51200
- 0” 1.04m – Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
- It is compatible with the collection of EF/ EF-S lenses and other EOS accessories
- It only has a 95% viewfinder coverage
- It doesn’t have a 4K video feature
- The dynamic range can still be improved
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
7. Nikon Z 6 – Durable Camera for Filmmakers
The Nikon Z 6 is a durable camera that is perfect for filmmakers. It has a full frame mirrorless camera body. It also comes with the revolutionary optical performance. It has up to 12 fps and 6k time-lapse. With this camera, you can be satisfied with your filmmaking habit since it has 4K Ultra-HD video.
It is also designed with a 24.5 MP backside illuminated image sensor and comes with 1080P/ 120 fps slow motion. This camera can provide you with exceptional photo quality. It can offer you with sharp details from edge to edge. It has 273-Point On-Sensor PDAF and eye-detection AF.
It has ISO 51,200, which is expandable to 204,800. It is a portable cinematic camera that is specially designed for your video needs.
The only negative thing we can say about Nikon Z 6 is that it only has a single XQD card slot.
- Great ISO quality
- In-body image stabilization
- New 4K full pixel readout
- Slow motion videos
- New 3.6 m -Dot Quad VGA Viewfinder
- Legendary F-Mount NIKKOR Lenses
- New NIKKOR Z lenses
- It has a 10-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output
- Full Frame 4K Ultra HD
- 4K time lapse
- It has new icon-driven info display
- Streamline and familiar ergonomics
- Flagship Nikon durability
- It has extensive weather sealing
- It only has a single XQD card slot
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
8. Sony a7 III – Portable Mirrorless Camera for Filmmaking
The Sony a7 III is a portable mirrorless camera that you can depend on your filmmaking project. It is a full-frame interchangeable lens camera optical with 3-inch LCD. It comes with advanced 24.2 MP BSI full frame image sensor that comes with 1.8 x readout speed. Additionally, it has a 24.2 MP back-illuminated 35-millimeter full frame image sensor.
It features 693 phase detection as well as 425 contrast AF points with 93% image coverage. It has an Exmor R CMOS sensor. If you look for excellent video and image quality, the Sony a7 III is a great choice. It comes with noise reduction in high-resolution photos. It has ISO range of 100-51200. It has superior processing and faster burst mode shooting.
As a filmmaker, you can be satisfied with this camera’s 4D focus. You can have a fast and continuous shooting with this mirrorless camera. With its high-resolution 4K HDR, you can produce stunning and satisfying film content.
The only drawback of the Sony a7 III is that it has average video specs.
- Good ISO performance
- Twin card slots
- In-body image stabilization
- 2 MP BSI full frame image sensor
- 15 top dynamic range and 14 bit uncompressed raw
- 693 phase-detection and 425 contrast AF points
- High-resolution 4K HDR
- Fast continuous shooting
- LCD monitor for easy navigation
- It comes with around 10 fps mechanical or silent shutter with AE/ AF tracking
- Some users complain that it has average video specs
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
9. Panasonic Lumix S1 – Best Filmmaking Camera for Beginners
The Panasonic Lumix S1 is equipped with awesome features that can give you the highest satisfaction for your filmmaking needs. It has 60fps 4K and 10-bit internal capture. It also comes with in-body stabilization for smooth and hassle-free shooting experience.
It is a full frame mirrorless camera that comes with a 24.2 MP MOS high-resolution sensor. Additionally, it also features accurate AF in low light conditions and low-contrast scenes. It has L-mount lens system that enables you to make creative video content.
The negative of the Panasonic Lumix S1 is that it is heavy and bigger than other models in the market.
- In-body stabilization
- 10-bit internal capture and 60 fps 4K
- Ultra-high-speed video
- High-resolution mode for excellent imaging
- Hybrid full-frame camera for still videos
- It has a 24.2 MP CMOS sensor for realistic details
- It has a durable magnesium alloy die-cast frame
- This model is splash and dust resistant, so it can withstand tough conditions
- It is a bigger and little bit heavier compared to other models in the market
Our Rating: (3.9 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
10. Sony Alpha a6400 – Best Filmmaking Camera for Adventurers
Are you an aspiring traveler who is looking for a camera for filmmaking without breaking your budget? Then, the Sony Alpha a6400 is for you. It features a flip-over screen for self-filming. It comes with excellent eye AF and AF tracking. It has many touch screen operations for a more customized experience.
It can offer you with 4K movie content that you deserve. It has a faster autofocus with 4D focus. You can also transfer file easily because of its Wi-Fi compatibility.
The negative side of this camera is that it doesn’t come with in-body stabilization.
- Excellent AF Tracking/ Eye AF
- 2 MP Exmor CMOS sensor and excellent photo quality
- Faster autofocus with 4D focus
- 180-degree tilt touchscreen LCD
- Incredible image and video quality
- Fast and accurate up to 11 fps shooting
- Multiple movie functions
- LCD tilt screen for self-recording
- It doesn’t come with in-body stabilization
Our Rating: (3.8 / 5)
Check Price on Amazon
Buying Guide for Best Camera for Filmmaking on a Budget
Finding the best DSLR camera for filmmaking on a budget is quite challenging. With many brands you can avail of in the market, it is confusing which is the right one for you. Are you currently searching for a camera that you can use for your filmmaking needs? Then, you just need to consider the following factors to get the best camera for a satisfying shooting experience. You may also like Best Sony Camera for Vlogging.
When it comes to purchasing a camera for filmmaking on a budget, you must also check its specifications and features. You also need to check its shooting quality to ensure that the money, time, and effort you invest for the camera are all worth it.
Whether you are making a documentary film, short film, and other types of films, the quality of your camera has an impact on your video content. Therefore, you must carefully choose the best quality filmmaking camera that will match your requirements.
In this section, you will learn about the important things to consider in buying a camera for filmmaking on a budget. we highly recommend to view the photo stick reviews to learn how does photostick organize and save photos.
Even though you are looking for a budget-friendly camera for filmmaking, it is natural that you wish to get clear, crisp, and high definition. With this, you must consider the maximum video resolution of the camera that you are going to buy.
In today’s modern era, it is advisable to get a camera that comes with 4K video resolution. Thus, 4K can offer you with the stunning video quality. If you are a beginner in filmmaking, it is necessary to shoot using quality camera. Aside from checking the video resolution, you must also look for the number of frames every second of the camera. Keep in mind that higher FPS will make the videos less blur during action shots. In budget cameras, the best decision you can make is to choose 4K video with 60 frames per second.
In addition, 4K cameras can shoot high definition, which also comes with an option of 1080p recording in 240 frames per second. With this, you can have sharp and clear shots for your film projects.
Another crucial factor in choosing a camera for filmmaking is the type of camera. There are 3 types of cameras for filmmaking namely: DSLR, mirrorless, and video.
DSLR cameras are basically used in photography, but it started to rise in the videography world too. This camera type is more practical choice compared to dedicated cinematography models. You may sometimes need to purchase new lenses and other accessories to produce the best quality filming experience.
Mirrorless camera is considered as a good choice for your video needs. Although this camera is new to cinematography and photography industry, it already made remarks with its quality. This camera enables the sensor to directly expose to light, which leads to more speed upon its use.
Lastly, video cameras are specifically designed to record video with superior quality. It can capture still images but not with excellent quality. Finding a budget video camera for filmmaking is quite challenging.
As a filmmaker, you also need to capture still photos while in the process of filmmaking. So, you need to check the still image resolution (R) of the model you are going to buy. The megapixel resolution can depend on the sensor type of your camera.
If you want to get a quality camera, you can prefer a model that has 15-megapixel resolution. Meanwhile, if you will buy a dedicated video recording camera, you can opt for lower resolution.
Filmmaking needs a lot of storage space. So, you must make sure that your camera can offer you a huge storage capacity for your shoots. Commonly, budget filmmaking cameras come with one SD card slot. So, to make the best of your filmmaking, you must bring additional cards with you.
In your filmmaking project, you need to shoot for long hours. With that, you must also monitor the battery life of the camera that you will purchase. It is frustrating to shoot when the battery of your camera is running low. Therefore, you must choose a budget camera that has longer battery life.
Usually, buyers consider more the quality of video than its audio quality. Well, you must also consider the microphone input of the camera to get excellent audio for your film. You may also like Some Branded High Quality Camera Like Canon Vixia HF R800 Review Nikon Coolpix L340 Review & Best Sony Camera for Vlogging
Frequently Asked Questions
The factors mentioned above are the things you need to consider when buying the best camera for filmmaking on a budget. Meanwhile, you must still check the important things based on your specific filmmaking needs.
For you to get the perfect filmmaking budget camera, you can consider the following questions:
- What should I look for a camera for filmmaking on a budget?
The things to consider in buying a camera for filmmaking on a budget is simple. You must check its maximum video resolution to ensure that you can have a superior video content for your film project. You also need to check its battery life to avoid interruptions while filming.
- What is the best camera for filmmaking?
The best camera for filmmaking is the mirrorless camera. DSLR cameras work best for photography. The mirrorless cameras have sensors that are directly exposed to light. Without a mirror, you can shoot without changing the way of the camera. You can use the viewfinder and display to have a preview of the subject.
- What type of lenses should I use for my filmmaking camera?
The type of lens you must use can depend on your camera for filmmaking. A wide angle lens can take wider shots. Macro lenses are ideal for closeup shots. Lastly, zoom lenses can get your subject closer.
Filmmaking requires excellent quality content to satisfy your audience. With this, you must have the best equipment for your filmmaking projects. Finding a camera on a budget is a challenging task. So, you must be careful in choosing the best one for your needs.
There you have it. We hope that we have given you all the needed details for you to get the best camera for filmmaking on a budget. What are you waiting for? Be guided with our tips and get your favorite filmmaking camera!